Friday, September 25, 2015

Wool-Aid Socks-Warm and Wooly

I haven't yet shown you the latest pair of socks I finished for Wool-Aid. A big size at 10" with a cable rib pattern.
 As usual, I started with the toe.
Or should I say "toes" since I do them two at a time? It's a short row toe over 20 stitches, which gives me a roomy 40 stitches around the foot.

After the foot, it is time for my latest favourite heel--start with a gusset, do a short row heel over the original number of stitches (in this case, 20) and then do a heel flap after the heel, decreasing the gusset stitches.
I will often leave 2 or 4 of the gusset stitches not decreased so the leg is a little roomier than the foot. They fit me better that way so I am generalizing from there.

Once I get far enough (or I'm running out of wool), I finish with some plain ribbing and Jeny's Surprising Stretchy Bind Off:
 It really is stretchy:
With these socks done and cooler weather coming, I decided it was time to send a box off to Wool-Aid headquarters. Here is what I sent yesterday:
One sweater, two little pair of socks, one medium pair and one big pair.

And I finally pulled myself together enough to gather the materials and start my next knitting project--some nice red socks for the next shipment...

1 comment:

  1. So glad that you're doing this for the kiddos that need it! I love the collar on the sweater - just beautiful.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated so you will not see yours post right away. Thank you for leaving a comment; I enjoy reading each one!

May I suggest?

I Say! or at least I did once...